2019年10月18日 星期五

Book Review - a preview of Birds of Mongolia

Finally received some books which I pre-ordered in summer, during the HK Book Fair. However, sadly I don't have any spare time to read. Anyway, I still went through several pages and make a preview here.

I have only been to Inner Mongolia, for travel not for birding, but not Mongolia. The two field guides I bought will be a great tool for my travel in future. The first one is the Princeton Field Guides - Birds of Mongolia (right) written by Gombobaatar Sundev & Christopher Leahy and the second one is A Field Guide to the Birds of Mongolia (left) written by Dorj Ganbold & Chris Smith.

the two field guides

For the first one, the illustration is exactly the same style (or even the same) as the other Princeton Field Guides, like the Birds of East Asia, Birds of Central Asia or Birds of Japan. So I don't expect there is excitement about the illustration. For the taxonomy order, it is a little bit random. For example, they put the buttonquail side by side of the quail and pheasant, or a Great Cormorant in between geese and ducks. But still, this guide is comparatively easy-handing and lighter than the following one. 

Birds of Mongolia - buttonquail in pheasant

similar pictures to the Birds of East / Central Asia

For the second field guide - A Field Guide to the Birds of Mongolia, as seen in the above photo, it is a bit bigger than the first one. Also, the cover page is a bit harder than the first book, make it harder to be flipped. I love the style of this field guide more than the first one (a Collin's Style? which I prefer to follow when I publish mine) but the 'jizz, scale and color' of illustration is rather strange (a little bit unnatural?). 

A Field Guide to the Birds of Mongolia - I love the style with identification points the arrow)

Birds of Mongolia - difference of Ruff

A Field Guide to the Birds of Mongolia 

Birds of Mongolia - don't forget we have seen Mongolia Lark in Hong Kong already haha!

If I need to choose one of them, I still prefer the second one. At least more identification basis and more organised. Anyway, I still need to make my final recommendation after reading the whole book. 

沒有留言:

張貼留言